Read the small print
Some of you may know I moved into a flat I bought this weekend.You may also be aware that I got the seller to send me an inventory list of all the stuff she had and made an offer on it all, so I could just move right in without all that horrible bit where you sit in an empty room on an armchair made of pizza boxes staring at a blank wall and wondering if it was all such a good idea after all.
Overall, I think this approach has worked well, although the woman could probably have used the word 'rickety' rather more often in the descriptions.
On the other hand, maybe she did do just that, because I really didn't pay too much attention to the inventory list.
Which I now regret, as after arriving at the flat, I soon became aware of this...

... have I accidentally bought a cat?

6 Comments:
On offer: Cat-sitter in exchange for free accommodation, even if accommodation is in a windowless "bedroom" or a cupboard. Or a cardboard box. Or a shoebox, at a push.
What a fine looking fellow. He isn't yours though. All cats are chancers, so this cheeky little sod has turned up looking for his 5th meal of the day. Even better if it comes from the new guy, who has no cat treats - just chicken or fish.
Well done on the flat. Look forward to visiting.
This just in... he is apparently the cat who was owned by the woman who moved out. He (or she) is supposed to be staying with friends, but I don't think he quite realises he doesn't live there any more.
When my lessees move on (the useless, debt-ravaged wasters that they are), they invariably leave behind a few cats and occasionally the odd dog. At one point, I was aware of over fifty animals left without owners, representing an abandonment rate of 1:40 from a pool of roughly two thousand lessees.
With only a few exceptions, these are then taken in by neighbours or other lessees, so the entire scheme is self-sustaining.
I imagine the animals to be analogous to road cones... no-one ever buys them as there is no shortage if you want to pick one up free.
Did you see what Dr Terror did there? How he cleverly used the cat story to vindicate his pathological need to thieve traffic cones everywhere we go? Marvellous!
Time to find out whether you really have room to swing a cat in that flat...
Post a Comment
<< Home