Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Oil's well that ends well

Maybe there's something in that homeopathy business after all. (*spoiler* there isn't).

In order to tackle the first of my inevitable winter of repeated colds and sinus buggerings, I have purchased some Olbas Oil.

Having only ever dripped a load of it on a tissue and sniffed before, I never rated it too much.

This time, though, I put several drops into boiling water to inhale the steam.

Now, I have never actually rammed a pre-heated knitting needle up my nose and thrust it deep into my frontal lobe before, but if I were to hazard a guess as to what it might feel like, I'd say 'steamy Olbas oil'.

True, it cleaned me out fairly effectively, but I think it's taken most of my childhood memories and about forty seven IQ points with it.

So who knew, water makes Olbas oil stronger. Next, I shall try whacking the watery mix against a leather saddle fifty times between dilutions and see what that does.

3 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Guess who said...

I didn't know you had that many IQ points to give...

Har.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Barry said...

Over the weekend (shortly before we saw you, in fact), Lucia and I carried on with one of the restoration projects on the front elevation at No.3.

This involved mixing together drums of chemicals and daubing them on two panels of terracotta hanging tiles.

The fact that the chemicals arrived in a van festooned with HazMat signage and driven by a man with a full face mask and breathing apparatus should have been a clue.

One of the drums was ok but, my God, the one with 80% Formic Acid sent me reeling away, coughing, gasping and reaching for 999.

Since then, my (often troublesome) sinuses have been completely clear. I recommend it. The only downsides are the eye-watering pain and the absence of any sense of taste henceforth. Still, there you go.

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Lucia said...

Plus, I have to add that there was an upside in that the skin burns Barry received from the hideous mixture of chemicals did to some extent take his mind off the pain in his sinuses. Every cloud...

Having been blighted with terrible sinus problems all my life, I can attest to the agony of Olbas inhalation. If the searing pain didn't sit well with you, I would just to warn you that if you go the Vicks Vapour Rub route and you get the Vicks-to-water ratio wrong, it'll peel the skin off your eyes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home