Brief encounter
Well I guess I live in Halifax now.Hmmm. I did try to go out in the town on Thursday. Had a few drinks. Went to a few bars. Had another few drinks.
Then I decided to find where the hell everyone was. Thus it was that I, admittedly drunkenly and without really paying attention, found myself in the only bar that had a decent crowd in.
Then I looked around me and suddenly realised I was older than everyone else there. A lot older.
Hoping my mind was playing tricks on me, I asked the barman how old everyone was.
"16."
Oh my lord. I made my excuses and left, before I ended up on a register somewhere.
So Halifax, on the first attempt at a night out, you have failed.
In other news, I went up to Newcastle this weekend where I had volunteered to compere a charity event.
I guess I hadn't really realised quite how swanky the affair was, or how central my role in the whole proceeding was going to be, but when I found myself in the middle of a large ballroom, talking to about 200 people each of whom had paid £30 a head for their tickets, it kind of sank in.
I think it went pretty well in the end though and certainly the organisers were very nice to me at the end.
Oh, and I got to sit next to a Jaws looky likey (the Bond villain, not the shark, although that would have been cool too) at dinner...
And you know what they say, 'if you haven't had dinner with a seven foot tall geordie whilst hosting a chilli eating competition, you really haven't lived.'
I think that's what they say anyway.
No, hang on, it's 'red sky at night, shepherd's delight' isn't it? Silly me. Sorry.

Could you pass the salt plea... no? Ok, that's fine
Note: Actually, Gary was a really sweet gentle and pleasant guy.

6 Comments:
Number Five is alive. About fricking time. I was about to lose interest in your blog....
For some reason (probably hate), I find the notion of simple-minded Northern folk rolling about in the agonies of Naga Morich consumption strangely satisfying.
What next? How about compering a fist fight between two invalids by the Dorset coastline?
Speak later.
Please... more details of the grim reality that awaits the unwary traveller north of Watford.
Overheard today on the train:
“You know when you hit me with the nunchuks last night in the pub? My hand really f*cking hurts today.”
Beat that. I challenge you.
16 is the age of consent and at that age, an all you can eat chinese buffet would probably qualify as 'posh'. On the other, I suspect the pillow talk wouldn't be up too much.
I can't say I agree with Norman (the first comment - the second one is spot on, of course). I was finding it much more interesting just looking at the same f*cking page and hitting refresh every couple of hours.
Next update please! Pretty pretty pleeeeease?
Post a Comment
<< Home