Whisky galore
Well, that was fun.Whisky Row was indeed a fun row of bars and I started in Arizona's oldest saloon. It had the swingy doors at the front and looked exactly like something from a western.
I was a bit disappointed that there weren't four guys playing poker in the corner or a dude plinking away at an upright piano (although it did have the piano) but you can't have everything eh?
Apparently Doc Holliday used to drink there too. Cool.
Also, there is a safe in one of the walls, and above the safe, after a robbery, they built a little alcove where a dude would sit, looking over the bar with a gun in his hand.
Sort of a CCTV for the old west I guess. Although don't tell NuLabour or they'll be developing a camera that shoots first and asks questions later too.
Then I went to another bar, which was actually the old upstairs of the other bar back in the day, where the brothel was.
That was just as cool and had a large balcony inhabited by four very attractive women. Seriously, I don't know what they put in the water in this state, but it's working.
So, as tends to happen over here, I got talking to the girls and we ended up drinking together and going to another bar (they described their own home as a 'drinking town with a tourist problem'). This time, when we got there it was a full-on country bar with guys in cowboy hats dancing with their lovely ladies.
It was really neat, because there were people of all ages there and it's so sweet to see some seventy old cowboy swinging his equally elderly sweetheart around.
So we stayed there drinking for a bit ($1 a beer!) and then we went to a hip hop club.
Oh no, that's not what happened. What happened was the country bar suddenly transformed into a hip hop club.
Most of the oldies left and a bunch of new folks appeared, but there were still ten gallon hats to be seen, throwing down to Jay Z, which was quite a sight.
But the prize for the best conversation of the night with a really drunk guy...
"...tomorrow I'm going into rehab."
He then ordered another beer.

2 Comments:
Good to hear it wasn't as stabby as you first thought it might be. Hurrah!
So is 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' still popular out there? :)
Post a Comment
<< Home