Should have gone to Specs savers
Well,after my poetic extravagnza, I nipped into a bar called Specs last night,where the sign outside claims the owner was the writer of the song Charlie and the MTA, for which I have a strong affection.So I went in and had a drink and asked if they had the song on the jukebox.
Not only was there no jukebox, but nobody had even heard of the song. Thee were barflys who'd obviously been there on a daily basis for years, and apparently never bothered to read the cuttings on a noticeboard by the door.
I shouldn't have been surprised though, as Specs is described by the interweb as 'a bar for people who like bars'.
Meaning no TV, no jukebox, no napkins with drinks, just booze and boozers all happy to talk to one another in that boozy way they have.
I loved it.
But time was pressing and I had a show to go to, after a quick dip into a place claiming to be the 'oldest strip club in the world' (I did question this, and apparently this is because all the ones before were brothels - now that's a challenging first business to set up "Hey guys, come and spend your money here. It's just like those brothels you like only, and I think you'll like this, you don't actually get to have sex.")
Anyway, like I say it was a quick dip to kill a few minutes before heading to Beach Blanket Babylon. A San Francisco insitution, this show is a musical topical satire, poking gentle fun at a range of celebrities, politicians and events largely through the medium of accomplished singing and astonishingly large wigs.
I know, I'm really getting my gay on during this trip eh?
Even more so, in fact, because after getting talking to the guys who were sitting next to me, we went for a drink and they wanted to go to a bar in Castro, the gay district, so I went along for a drink and a dance.
What fun!
The net effect, however, was to get really drunk, such that today's planned excursion to Alcatraz reverted to Plan B, stay in bed all day wondering if my head was going to fall off.
So, erm, sorry about that. I guess you'll just have to google Alcatraz and learn about it for yourselves.

1 Comments:
Did the bar owner also live in SF? I also love that song, but what's with the San Francisco/Boston connection? Was it penned in relief by a former East-coaster who finally escaped the MTA, or was it the only underground transport system that scanned?
Post a Comment
<< Home