Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Comic relief

Seeing as everyone seems to be blogging their comedy experiences right now, I hereby present...

5 things I have learned about stand up comedy.


  1. You are never on first. The compere is on first. But if the compere is rubbish, you might wish you had been on first.

  2. Everybody dies. But only Jesus and comedians get to live again. And Lazarus, I guess. And people who are resuscitated in hospital. Ok, lots of people die and live again, but only comedians, um, oh forget it.

  3. Too much thinking about the literal meaning of a joke, or observation about comedy can ruin the humour.

  4. You're not as bad as your worst gigs. And you're not as good as your best gigs.

  5. The quarter finals of a national new act comedy competition is probably not the best time to unveil your 5 solid minutes of jokes about rape.


I feel qualified to hand down my wisdom on all things comedic as I nipped up to Norwich yesterday and had a stormer of a gig (which I haven't had in a long time).

Did 12 and a half minutes and could have gone on, but decided to quit whilst I was ahead. And I got paid 20 quid - nearly as much as I spent on petrol getting there.

Sweet.

So there you go guys. A few tips to get you started if you fancy joining the ranks of deluded and maladjusted misfits that make up the open mic circuit.

Good luck.

3 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sound advice for any new comic. I feel more confident about my future already. Definitely going to take heed of number 5.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Nerd Evolved said...

Well done!

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Barry said...

Whilst not being a stand-up comic (although people do frequently laugh at me), I urge others to take careful note of point 5.

This is on the basis that, when I became godfather to a large, ginger baby last weekend, my collection of Fritzl jokes at the drinks afterwards (and I did have quite a few drinks) went down like a bucket of cold sick.

I also noted that, when you draw attention to the fact that your hosts are rural inbreds, whose family tree resembles a stick, they can become quite testy. Did you try this theory out in Norfolk, where they've got webbed feet and two heads? The c*nts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home