Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sanctuary

I like words. They’re all slippery and fun, like a strawberry eel (no, I know strawberry eels don’t exist, but if they did, you’d better believe they’d be slippery and fun).

But sadly, like orang-utangs, Siberian tigers and watchable British movies, there are some words that, through a combination of neglect and the shocking state of modern education, are in danger of extinction.

Words like ‘schnozz’.

When did you last hear someone use the word ‘schnozz’ eh? A while ago I bet, and probably in the mouth of a man with tufts of white hair growing out of his ears.

Thus I have created here, Peter The Great's Sanctuary for Rare and Endangered Words. The first words I am keeping here for safekeeping are…

Schnozz
Garrulous
Timbuctoo
Slake
Beaker

If you come across a specimen of a beautiful but neglected word, feel free to drop them off in the comments section where I assure you they will be well looked after.

Thank you for your co-operation.

11 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vexing.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whippersnapper

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slacks - my late Nan was the last (only, in fact) person I ever heard refer to what she was wearing on her lower half in this manner.

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that slacks were only for men. Did your grandparents share a wardrobe?

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno - as I say I only ever heard my Nan use the word. and she was definitely talking about her own trousers. Given that my Grandad was roughly my size and my Nan roughly, say, Tara's, I think they'd have struggled with the cross-dressing thing. Then again, maybe this is where the family tradition of dressing like a "Big English Lady" comes from
I've just realised the word "slacks" doesn't belong here though - re-readign the original post I see now that PTG was after "beautiful" words - and "slacks" doesn't come into that category.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it can count as beautiful, if you think it is. Just like your mum thnnks that you're beautiful.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slacks were worn by women, being one of that generation I remember them well.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger balletwho...? said...

For safe keeping:

Frock
Willowy
Skedaddle
Flibbertigibbet
Lascivious
Poppycock

...and when I am not using it, if you could keep an eye on Groovy that would be, well, groovy!

Thanks

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knock-kneed. How marvelous.

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But British cinema is having a revival!

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Lucia said...

I know this post is a while old, but I've only just caught up with this blog after a long absence. So, if you could keep the following safe for posterity, I would be grateful;

Lacklustre
Soporific
Wheeze (as in 'a jolly wheeze' or joke)
Tumescent
Somnambulist

 

Post a Comment

<< Home