That's not all folks
OK, so as you know, and some of you witnessed, I managed to survive 5 minutes of stand up comedy in front of 150-odd people (and 150, odd people too, come to think of it).I have to say, I do not remember the last time I was that nervous. I wasn't too worried about the butterflies in my stomach, because the stomach itself had been liquified and flushed away hours previously.
It was terrifying.
I can only liken the experience to getting a large group of people around a table, putting your testicles out on said table, and then handing everyone a hammer.
The first 30 seconds (real time, 150 years sensory time) were pretty stiff and you could hear the nerves. But then people started laughing in the right places (and possibly also for the right reasons) and the memorised set pretty much took over from there.
I think it went pretty well, but there will be a video, so you will be able to decide for yourself.
The rush was incredible. Adrenaline was coursing and I felt like I wanted to run around the block several times afterwards.
Unfortunately, the come-down from that was not so fun, and the next morning I felt like I'd been run over by a car.
Then, last night I went to an open, open mike night at a small club in Kings Cross, where you put your name in a hat and when you're called, you're on.
That was not so much fun. The audience was 100% other comics, so not an easy crowd to impress. I cut my set short and got off the stage as quickly as possible.
So it seems I am not a comedy god after all.
But it's a start.

5 Comments:
I know you won't take a minor knock too seriously. Props (as 'the kids' would say) for getting up there. Good man etc. remeber this - you can't EVER be any worse than Kabongo!
Practice makes perfect...
Comedy god in training... can't help but think that doing open mic in front of the hardest possible audience is rather like running a marathon on a whim after a very successful 10km. Doesn't mean that you can't do it (we and you know you can) but you need to train for it.
Aaaah Mr Great, it's SO good to hear you're sharing your talents at last!
You're the funniest guy I know, just keep trying to prove me right...
I knew it would be terrifying. Sorry I wasn't there is person but I would have been throwing up with nerves anyway.
Well done you!!
Post a Comment
<< Home