Urban Miss
I was thinking of blogging a couple of days ago about the twins who got married.At the time I didn't comment, simply because the news itself was so mind-blowingly weird that there really was very little to add that would make it any more thought provoking, funny or just plain bizarre.
But then I got to thinking. What is really in this story? Where are the facts?
The alleged brother and sister are not named. The court in question is not identified.
In fact, it all comes down to a single sentence... "Their story was revealed to the independent peer Lord Alton in a conversation with the high court judge who annulled the marriage."
Or, to put it another way, Lord Alton told me that a friend of a friend of his, and this is a completely true story...
is it just me, or does this smell distinctly of urban myth?
Come to think of it, wasn't it Lord Alton's mate who was in the house babysitting when she started getting these weird threatening calls and she called the cops who said they'd trace the call but meanwhile to lock all the doors and windows and she waited for, like, ages, and then eventually the cops called back and told her to get out of the house because the threatening caller was, like, calling from THE UPSTAIRS EXTENSION!!!?
Oh no, hang on, that was When A Stranger Calls.
Sorry.
UPDATE
I may be a bit behind the times. A quick google has told me that the president of the High Court family division has said...
"I know of neither any judge who presided over such a case nor of the case itself."
Of course, the "twins marry" headline was splashed everywhere, whereas the "That story we told yesterday may well have been bollocks" articles were strangely lacking in prominence, so you can see how I missed it.
So I guess I should apologise for my own 'News media in sensationalist unresearched lie shocker'.
Sorry again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home