Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Thursday, August 16, 2007

A-levels are extra

It's that time of year again.

Another crop of youngsters get the results they mistakenly think will make or break the rest of their lives.

...a retired Major in Bagshot complains bitterly about the lowering of standards, "you only have to put your name at the top to get 10 marks you know,"

...schoolkids everywhere spread the tale of the one student who shoves the pencils up his nose and slams into the desk. And the one about the student so wired on Pro Plus he thinks he's written a great essay only to find he's just written his name over and over again on the paper.

...a small Indian child is celebrating his ten A grades, his place studying mathematics at Oxford and the fact that he'll never quite fit in to society at large again

... an upper middle class white girl appears in all the papers celebrating her A and 2 Bs. She's going to be a vet.

... a government spokesman chides the retired major from Bagshot for his cynicism, saying we should be proud of the success of our youngsters.

... the papers all have a full page spread telling you what to do if you didn't make it into your chosen uni/poly/borstal.

Anyone feel like we've seen all this before? Tell me if I missed anything.

On the plus side - a good night to go out to the pub. Lots of youngsters full of hope for the future and a sense of achievement. It's quite refreshing for an ageing cynic like me.

3 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I can't see why you'd want to be be surrounded by teenage girls havign a bit too much to drink.

Oh, hang on a minute ... ah, yes, I think I've got it now ...

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly the conclusion that I leapt to (possibly unjustly) my orange friend....

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps that makes us the ageing cynics?!

Nah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home