When the Wind in the Willows Blows
It’s wildlife at war again today, only this time it’s Iran that’s experiencing cuddly conflict.It’s those evil squirrels this time, some of whom have been arrested for spying by the Iranians.
Iran’s own news agency has reported that 'In recent weeks, intelligence operatives have arrested 14 squirrels within Iran's borders.'
I particularly love the fact that the squirrels have been arrested. Not shot or poisoned, but arrested.
How do you arrest a squirrel? Do you have special tiny-paw handcuffs that you slap on after pushing them up against the bonnet of a toy car? Do you read them their rights? Do they even have rights (admittedly unlikely in Iran, where humans don’t have too many themselves).
I have a lovely image in my mind of the police car pulling away with fourteen tiny, sad squirrel faces looking back at me out of the back window.
Of course, I may mock the absurd idea of squirrel spies, but then again I would have said the same about the CIA recruiting cats for surveillance work.
So I guess the last laugh is on me.

2 Comments:
I get the squirrel thing. I mean how could you think something that looks like this -
http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/13/squirreltongueomg.jpg - is spying on you?
You say that...
I shot a squirrel a couple of years back that I caught digging up my gladioli.
It's Dad came around later, and I swear, he was the size of a pony.
Sez...
Have you seen Thumbelina, the world's smallest horse:
http://www.worldssmallesthorse.com/
Compare and contrast with Samson, the UK's largest dog:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6291130.stm
Post a Comment
<< Home