I'm a bit worried about boxing's Ronald Wright.
Ronald is a very good fighter who will be facing off against Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas next weekend.
I'm sure it will be a great fight, but one one level, poor old Ronald has already lost.
As all good promoters know, a good name is very important and 'Ronald vs Bernard' just doesn't really sound the part.
THat's why most boxers like to take a scary sounding nickname, like 'Iron' Mike Tyson, Arturo 'Thunder' Gatti, 'Razor' Ruddock and 'El Terrible' Erik Morales.
Sometimes they don't do it quite so well and demonstrate a rather lame literalness and lack of imagination, such as 'Irish' Micky Ward, James 'Quick' Tillis and 'Big' George Foreman.
Still others are just weird. Whoever thought Explosive Thin Man (Alexis Arguello) or Juan "The Hispanic Causing Panic" Lazcano were good names need a good talking to.
Anyway, the point of all this being the fight on Saturday is going to feature Bernard 'The Executioner' Hopkins in the ring with guess who...
Yes Ronald 'Winky' Wright.
Winky? What the hell is that about? As far as I know, that's just a children's word for penis isn't it? He might as well call himself 'Todger' Wright. Or 'Dinkle'.
Is he hoping Hopkins is going to be laughing so hard he can't keep his guard up?
Now I don't wish to insult a man who could knock me unconscious with a sideways glance, but come on Winky, you can do better than that.
I have a few suggestions, should you come to your senses...
Ronald 'wrecking ball' Wright
Ronald 'leads with a strong' Wright
Ronald 'how can something so wrong feel so' Wright
Ronald 'Ray Gun' Wright
Ronald 'the last' Wright
Feel free to take any of them with my compliments Mr Wright. Please don't hurt me.
In other news, I passed the theory test despite an early failure in Hazard Perception (after all that preparation too, the shame).
Next stop, the practical.
And finally, I've been feeling lonely and depressed of late, so do feel free to write to me with nice comments and naked pictures, to cheer me up.
Thanks all.

7 Comments:
Congratulations on passing the Theory Test Peter!
I will cheer you up next weekend when we're in Greece with my sparkling wit and amusing anecdotes, and we could play Family Buzzword Bingo again!
Woo hoo! Looks like I'm going to New York for several weeks from next week.
Come and visit if you like. Hopefully it will all get confirmed tomorrow.
Mwa Mwa!
Congrats Pete!
Why don't you hire a moped in Greece with Brother Mark and really test your motorcycle skills? If you can motor round with the Greeks and not get killed, you'll be fine in London.
You've got a lovely Lad's Holiday (that happens to coincide with Pat's Stag) to look forwards to.
sorry son, Razor Ruddock was a footballer not a boxer. As it happens he used to play for our beloved Millwall, so there was probably a fighting connection there.
It's amazing how Bernard can stay as a top fighter at his age. It is rare in boxing t5hat a fighter can still dominate at a relatively advanced age. However, Wright is a very skilled boxer and he wants to prove himself. It will be a great fight I think.
Nice try Dad, but football's Razor Ruddock nicked his name (as it were) from Canadian boxer Donovan 'Razor' Ruddock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan_Ruddock
So there.
Post a Comment
<< Home