Packed with peanuts
Congratulations to Lycra Dave and Hairy Runner Lee who both managed to survive the blistering heat and blistering feet to complete the London Marathon yesterday.I was there too, drinking and cheering on the poor souls, rather than actually running, naturally.
I love the marathon. It's a tonic for the few grains of optimism that still reside in the murky pit of my soul.
There is truly nothing to warm the heart quite like thousands of people making the time to go along and cheer wildly to encourage complete strangers to overcome their personal challenges.
I get quite choked up.
Anyway, here's my Spotter's Guide to Marathon Runners.
1. The elite.
Looking like animated skeletons, these guys race past you like an elderly, one-legged man (which, as we've established, is actually quite fast), even at the 24 mile stage. It is sad to consider that the winners were all managed to cover the 26th mile of the race faster than I can run a single mile. They are probably mentally ill.
How to cheer – a bit of light clapping should be enough for these guys.
2. Club runners.
Coming a bit after the elite, but still keeping up a recognisable running pace, these folks are striving for a good time. A good finishing time, that is. Obviously running until you're about to die in 23 degree heat could never be described as a good time.
How to cheer – shout athleticy-sounding encouragement such as 'keep it going' and 'good pace, you're on target'.
3. Ordinary people who have prepared.
Breathing a bit harder. Carrying a bit of extra weight. These guys have trained a bit, but need all the support you can give them. That's why they generally write their name on their shirt.
How to cheer – pick one who's looking like they're struggling and shout 'come one Insert Name Here. You can do it.' They'll look at you wondering if they know you, but after the initial confusion, they'll be grateful.
4. Rhinos, Supermen, ,Elvises and the rest.
Ah, the 'characters'. You can see it in almost all their eyes as they struggle with the sweat and the heat and the pain… 'It seemed like such a good idea in the pub'. These guys deserve all the cheering you've got, after all, it's not like you can really do too many practice runs in an Elvis suit is it?
How to cheer – with everything you've got.
5. Dave and Lee.
Lovely guys. Great runners.
How to cheer – in my case, you don't. They manage to sneak past and I didn't even see them. Sorry guys.
So, there you have it. Next year I'm thinking of having a go myself, so if I'm out there, feel free to give me an encouraging shout.
Also, a long-overdue 'props' to Kevin, who recently cooked a very impressive Sunday Roast. Nice one Kev.

4 Comments:
If gratitude is what you are after, try handing out jelly babies around miles 18 to 22 for a looks of sheer pathetic gratitude.
Glad you had a fun day. Obviously you blinked as Lee and I ran past as we were very close together at that stage and still moving with some dignity.
Lycra Dave
I suspect the chracter limit on comments wouldn't be enough to list everyone to whom I owed gratitude for Sunday, but two things stand out.
The first was the guy from my club, whose name I don't even know, but stopped running as he came past me at about 16 miles, put his arm round me, walked with me for a few seconds and said "Don't worry. Walk some, run some, but get to the end".
The second was/were the volunteers of the St John Ambulance and medical staff who looked after me at the finish for an hour and a half until I could walk again.
Incredible experience, but next year I shall be joining you on the sidelines and cheering on the runners. Now I know how much they need it.
Hairy Runner Lee
P.S. More post race thoughts on www.leeandkate.com/blog, and all sponsorship still very gratefully received!
That link didn't work, and I don't think I can edit it. Let's try this instead!
Next year I'm thinking of having a go myself
So am I, and this is worrying me.
Professor Numbers
Post a Comment
<< Home