Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Monday, January 15, 2007

A song of sixpence

So how did it go?

Well, we prepared our song (Route 66, reimagined into a smooth 12 bar blues) and headed off to the pub.

Victory was in sight.

Then we approached the manager. She turned and looked at us. "Oh," she said, "I didn't think you were serious."

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel this was something of a setback. But still, I tried to weather the storm.

"Well, here we are. So where would you like to do this?" I asked.

"Actually I'm kind of tired. Can we do it some other time?"


This is not quite how I'd pictured the event. And we hadn't even got to the part with the talent-smitten groupies yet. Damn.

So, what could we do in the face of such obstacles? Rise above them and drive on? Nah, we ordered a bottle of wine.

Then another.

And another.

So when it came to closing time, you can imagine we were pretty much hammered. So when the manager then came over and said "Why don't you do it after closing time?" we were well up for it in spirit but perhaps a little less so in ability.

But never mind. This was what we had prepared for.

And so, armed with a guitar and a Post-it note with the words scribbled on, we performed for the three staff of the bar.

And we were brilliant.

Let me rephrase that. We sounded great to me, who was a couple of bottles of wine to the good.

One of the barmaids, on the other hand, hated us. But then we'd tried chatting to her earlier and she hated us then too, so it may not have been the music.

The other two seemed quite pleased though, so now we have been charged with putting together a couple of hours of music to try out in the place.

Hurrah!

In other news, a good party at Hollanders place, although the thorny issue of whether or not there were actually any trains in Ecuador was never resolved to my knowledge.

And an awesome time with Satellite Tina and her very attractive sister to cap the weekend off.

A triumphant weekend all round.

3 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger Sez said...

Don't you just love google?

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the opportunity for us to come and "appreciate" your efforts (i.e. mill around at the front while getting tanked up on strong lager and white wine and becoming increasingly indifferent or aggressive) inches a little closer.

When do we know the date ? I think it's high time that you experienced the same feelings I have when my "mates" turn up to see one of my public lectures after they've been in the pub for 5 hours !

Glad you had a good weekend. Mine was absolute sh*t after discovering on Friday that what I thought was a very minor injury to my left eye may well be very much more serious. Still, then again, it may not - so chin up and all that English nonsense.

Oh, and I hope you took the opportunity to tell Tina that I'm not as scary as I seem - it's actually much, much worse !

Later.

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank fuck I turned it down. I would have fainted at the stress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home