Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Monday, October 23, 2006

Statistically speaking, it's bollocks

Ok, really annoyed by an article in one of the rubbish free papers they're giving out in London these days.

"London's kids the poorest in Europe" it declares.

Makes you think that perhaps the children of London are living on less money, poorer nutrition and fewer X-box games than their European counterparts doesn't it? Which is surprising.

It's surprising because it's bollocks. In the body of the article it states that the definition used for 'poverty' is "living on an income below 60% of the national median".

In other words, there's absolutely no comparison between countries, it's just a measure of the distribution of wealth within a country.

Ironically, there's actually a story in this, although I am admittedly too lazy to work out what it is. Something about us not being an equitable society I would imagine.

Doesn't matter. The point is the headline writers have once again taken some information and spun a completely misleading story out of it. It's so annoying.

Seriously, do they really want us to believe our children are living in grinding poverty, poorly nourished and begging for change on the underground? 'Cos they're not.

That's just me.

If you see me at Waterloo, please give generously.

1 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't give you money, because you'll only spend it on drink and women - and before you argue, I will just say that I've read your previous blogs and know this to be true. I will gladly buy you a cuppa though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home