Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Mecha Saint

Oh, I've just remembered. Also in the pharmacy (which apparently is the oldest one still working, but that's a bit of a cheat, they've just stuck a Boots in a side room) is a collection of religious stuff.

I know, seems odd, but the pharmacy was admittedly inside a monastry, so that may be connected.

Anyway, point being, one cabinet is full of a bunch of reliquaries, sporting such items as St Beatrice's foot, St Adrian's finger, St Beyonce's head and other such danties. These were kind of like bits of armour, only for disembodied parts, with a little hole to allow some direct contact with the holy dismemberment.

So that gave us an idea. Surely if you collected enough bits of saint, you could put them together and make yourself a giant, mecha-saint. A bit of animatronic work later and you could have your very own reconstructed saint clattering around the streets of Old Town Dubrovnik.

Now that would bring in the tourists.

1 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Blogger Sez said...

I find the Catholic habit of iconising bits of their heroes sightly disturbing. For a faith that believes once you're dead your body is a shell that the soul leaves, why do they insist on keeping parts of their most faithful hanging around for posterity? If you're going to live forever in Heaven, why does your body (or bits of) need to live forever on Earth?

Saying that, when tripping round the many European Catholic Churches, I like nothing better than viewing their dead (or bits of) on display, as this photo will testify -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sezshares/49653252/in/set-1078007/

To dress up a corpse in finery and put it on display seems so at odds with Christian principles, I find in morbidly fascinating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home