Lion in state
Just watched Chronicles of Narnia, and would like to share the following observations.1. Tumnus the Faun - clearly gay.
2. Centaurs - presumably they have the mouth of a person, but the stomach of a horse. So do they eat hay? Or do they frequent gastro pubs and eat pasta and such? I need to know.
3. Tumnus the Faun II - spends the movie wearing a scarf. Just a scarf. If you're cold Tumnus, I can only suggest a jumper might give you a bit more coverage. Oh, but then you wouldn't be able to show off your torso at the gay faun club would you?
4. Turkish Delight - I know it's in the book, but surely they could have cut some kind of product placement deal here...
Snow queen: "Is there anything you want?"
Edmund: "Yes. I'd love a Flake. It's so crumbly, flaky and delicious. It's the chocolate you can eat between betraying your family and subsequently betraying the person you betrayed your family to, without ruining your appetite."
Hmm, Flake, the chocolate of traitors. Maybe not on reflection.
5. The Message - I know it's supposed to be some kind of allegory of Christianity and all that, but it seems to me that the moral of this story could also be any of the following...
a) Don't betray your family for sweeties. Hold out for something better instead.
b) Killing is just fine. Fighting is ace too.
c) When you think you're getting a great deal, read the small print carefully ("Yes queenie, I'm happy to give myself up to you to be killed without mercy. hmm.)
d) The upper middle classes are the natural rulers of the world. Just accept it.
Overall, it was an OK film, although I'm not sure who would most enjoy it. It seemed kind of violent for young children. And kind of stupid for older ones (which includes me, incidentally).
Still, it beats applying for jobs, which is what I was supposed to be doing with the time.

1 Comments:
As you are currently under-employed, I suggest you read (or re-read)the Chronicles of Narnia - an amazing work.
I would venture to suggest that it's not the fighting that is good, its fighting evil that is a fab idea. So that's alright then.
Also, I think the fawn Tumnus was meant to have been a little more furry than the film suggested - hence no requirement for a jumper but the need to humanise/civilize him by giving him a scarf to wear.
It has oft been said that the stories are an allegory; Narnia is heaven, Aslan is Jesus who sacrifices himself for our sins; The White Witch is the devil sent to tempt us etc.. This is apparently borne out by the fact that all the children are actually dead (read the books!).
However, it could just be a cautionary tale of why you should never trust;
* any strange Ice Queens
* Some trees
* flute playing gay fawns
and why it's ok to trust;
* large free-roaming lions
* strange beavers
* contrite flute playing gay fawns
Hope this helps?
Post a Comment
<< Home