Font of knowledge
I just came across possibly the best phrase ever in The Guardian today about the sculptor Eric Gill..."This is a good time to reconsider Gill, a quarter of a century after revelations of adultery, incest and relations with his dog caused a furore in the Catholic press"
Sorry what?
So I did a little Google on our man Gill to find out a number of interesting things.
1. He invented the Gill Sans font.
2. He was apparently a 'devout Roman Catholic'.
3. His lovers included two of his sisters and two daughters. Oh, and the dog.
Now, call me crazy, but are numbers 2 and 3 above really that compatible? The guy was clearly a bit more than 'bohemian'. I mean really, his dog?!
So, although I like Gill Sans as much as the next font fan, I'm afraid I'm going to have to boycott it as the font of an unreconstructed pervert.
Come back Times New Roman, all is forgiven.

2 Comments:
Oh my God (or should that be "Dog"?), I use Gill Sans as the Copleys corporate font. What does that say about my subliminal mind?!
I don't know - but speaking as your wife, I'm a little concerned. I'm just glad that your sister lives miles away and we don't have a dog...
Post a Comment
<< Home