Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Friday, June 23, 2006

Great head

I was drawn to a headline in Metro today, which is shared by the Guardian.

Mobile phones and iPods can kill, doctors warn it says.

Of course, I assumed that there was some new form of radiation discovered, or an inner ear infection that's mutated to deadly proportions.

But no. What the story is actually about is the discovery that using a mobile phone or iPod WHILST BEING STRUCK BY LIGHTNING increases the chances of horrible injury and death.

As Data Lee pointed out, using either item whilst being run over by a bus is likely to prove fatal as well.

And is it just me, or does the suggestion that I should give up my mobile just in case I get struck by lightning whilst out seem a little on the pessimistic side?

I realise that there have been no recorded incidents of this in the UK and so we must be overdue, but come on people. I have enough to worry about what with bird flu (not short bird flu - symptoms: slight lethargy, feelings of minor depression), global warming (although not in my office, where Atul has set the aircon to 'cryogenic') and England's performance so far in the world cup.

So sorry science, I'm not going to listen on this occasion.

2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to rain on your parade (oh, who am I kidding? I absolutely LOVE raining on other people's parades and that includes you!) what the Guardian article says is that using a mobile during a thunderstorm increases the likelihood of your being struck by lightning - and that if you are, it could also aggravate the injuries you sustain. I think that is worth knowing.

I agree that the headline is somewhat misleading, though!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Peter The Great said...

Rain away Fruitbat I ain't budging. I didn't mention that part of the article as the Guardian suspiciously said no more about it and I think they may have made that element up.

Certainly the BMJ's own extract (I'm too cheap to subscribe just to irritate my flatmate) makes absolutely no mention of increased likelihood of being struck.

I reckon the Grauniad has lied.

Prove me wrong, Orange, and I'll buy you a shiny new pint.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home