Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Monday, June 19, 2006

Christ Almighty

I have now renounced the devil and pledged to never rebel against God.

Really, I have. I stood up in church and, through gritted teeth, pledged to raise my new Godson (yes, I am a Godfather. I can barely believe it either.)

I have to say, the whole experience was most discomfiting for a number of reasons…

1. The vicar, pastor or whatever the hell she was had no gravitas at all. She came across like a cross between the Vicar of Dibley and Alan Partridge (“For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever A-HAAA!)

2. Renouncing the devil AND having to repent my sins. Oh please.

3. The ceremony. It’s really rather sinister, what with daubing the child with signs and sigils in oil and declaring ‘this is the mark that means you are one of us for the rest of your life’. As another guest pointed out, if it was the Moonies doing it, you’d have qualms.

4. The gift. I know a silver spoon is traditional, but have you ever seen anyone using their spoon, or really getting any value out of it whatsoever? Exactly. I wanted to get the tyke something useful. I hovered over the silver zippo for a while, but couldn’t see the mother going for that idea too strongly, so settled for a silver money clip and a bottle of port to be opened at a dinner with the uncles in eighteen years time. Then I kept the port.

5. The responsibility. It may come as a surprise to you all that I’ve spent a great deal of my life running away from responsibility. Then suddenly there’s this small bundle of sick and poo who, in some small way, I am now responsible for. It’s quite scary, but kind of cool too. On balance, I think I like it. (or, to put it another way, hey ladies, I like babies and I’m single, come and get me)

So, overall it was an interesting thing to do of a Sunday afternoon, but I don’t think I’ll be dropping into the church any time soon.

Oh, and finally, if you slightly alter the pronunciation of Christening to pronounce the 'Christ' part as you would his name, you end with with a very sinister sounding word. Something like the Quickening in Highlander.

"Ah, I feel the power flowing through, and my head is a bit wet. This must be the Christening coming upon me."


Oh my goodness, I almost forgot the weirdest part of the whole thing.

Somewhere in the ceremony there was a prayer, which included the unusual statement, "We pray especially for those who have trouble relating appropriately to children."

There was a pause as we all looked at each other thinking 'maybe she means people who are a bit awkward with kids and don’t know how to talk to them.'

But no, subsequent conversation revealed the consensus that we had, in fact, just said a special prayer for paedophiles.

Nice.

4 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update on the prayer for paedophiles: I told the story and jaws are dropping all around my office. Definitely an inappropriate prayer to pick for a christening. What next? A prayer for people who have trouble relating appropriately to lethal weapons at a funeral?

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me the highlight was your struggle between projecting the image of carefree bachelor or potential committed father.

I think the standard deal is to pretend your the latter at the beginning and then, maniacally laughing, reveal you're the former when it's all too late.

p.s. I'm back in Blighty. The weather's shit and I'm due to spend a large proportion of this week with estate agents. So this is the end of the empire....

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

urgh I did another bloody your / you're typo too. God I just give up with EVERYTHING.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot the bit where the old witch chiselled us for money for the church, using her chubby sidekick as the enforcer.

Likewise, my colleagues were horrified by the prayer for paedos; string 'em up, I say - hanging's too good for 'em !

I also noticed that my shoes became strangely warm when I walked into the church, giving rise to the notion that I might have just been about to burst into flames.

If Jesus loved us so, why did he make us suffer like this ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home