Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Monday, May 15, 2006

Backblog

Here’s a funny thing, (well, funny to me, probably tedious to you, but not so tedious as carrying on with the work you’re supposed to be doing, so I just know you’re going to read on)…

My chum Satellite Tina has a blog of her very own. Some time ago, she blogged about an evening which myself, Flatmate Dean and others spent over at her flat.

Now first off, having an ego the size of a Midwestern state (roughly Minnesota, I’d say) I love the fact that there I am being written about. But what a strange experience having a night out detailed from such a different perspective.

Now I’m not going to say I hadn’t had a few drinks before I got there (hence the difficulty finding her flat), but the night out I remember goes thus…

1. Arrive at Tina’s, composed and mature.
2. Make urbane conversation peppered with witticisms, epigrams and wordplay.
3. Charm all with a brief history of Renaissance art.
4. Make a dignified exit.

I guess she didn’t see it that way.

It’s also interesting to see how people see me. Obviously, I like phrases like ‘The Best” (my capitals, I’ll admit) and ‘Serious presence’ but an awful lot of the descriptions are, well, ambigious to say the least.

‘Edgy engergy’? Now ‘energy’ I like, but ‘edgy’? Couldn’t it have been ‘positive’ or ‘uplifting’ instead? Am I edgy. Why? Is it the manic thing? Is it? Is it?

Ok, maybe she had a point with that one.

But ‘loose cannon in the room’ that’s harsh. I like to think of myself as more of a lightly tethered cannon.

And what about my movie star looks eh? Sure Dean is taller, more muscly, more charming and better looking, but not all movie stars are Rock Hudson. I like to think I have a movie star quality, where the movie star in question is Steve Buscemi maybe.

Still, all in all I think I come out of it alright, even if she seems to think I’m a fairly friendly, slightly insane, drunken lunatic.

Oh, right.

Oh, and a couple of last things. Firstly, the optical mini mouse is BRILLIANT and secondly, I’m right, people who describe themselves as ‘cheeky’ are in actual fact tossers who use their ‘cheekiness’ as a cover for rudeness and serial infidelity.

Except the Cheeky girls, who are just crap.

3 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>Minnesota's manageable - better than Montana (like someone else I know!!)

>How did I miss the brief history of Renaissance Art?

>'Bigger than life movie star aura' could also be King Kong.

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you picking up your gmails? Not a chat up line you understand.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Strange... I've only been reading your blog for a few months but you get a picture in your brain about how someone is even though you've never met them... and then you read how someone who actually knows that person sees them and everything changes!

As far as believing yourself to be charming and witty that is, alas, something I frequently make the mistake of doing... I must be entertaining at least, though, or I wouldn't keep being invited out again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home