Voice of the KGB hive
I've just started reading The Mitrokhin Archive which is basically the book of the notes smuggled out of the KGB by an administrator called Vasili Mitrokhin.Basically he spent years copying out bits of KGB files onto scraps of paper which he secreted about his body on leaving the office. He then wrote up the notes and buried the resulting pages under his house until he could smuggle them out to the UK.
Naturally, I feel a great empathy with the man Mitrokhin. We are, essentially, the same.
He risked all to smuggle bits of precious paper out from under the nose of the KGB. Similarly, I stole a lot of Post-It Notes from my previous employer.
He took his life in his hands to let the world know about the way in which the KGB brutally suppressed dissidents. For my part, I risked a severe dressing down and perhaps even a verbal warning to distribute an underground newsletter mocking the bosses of the insurance company where I worked.
The both of us knew no fear in pursuit of the truth.
I wonder if Mitrokhin has a blog now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home