Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The generation game

I went with Dad to visit my Godfather in hospital last night.

This involved about five or six hours of driving to get there and back. Five or six hours with two generations, in one small enclosed space and one CD player.

He opened the hostilities with a range of 70s beige. This was music that had had every ounce of life drained out of it, the Slimcea bread of sound. I suspect each disc had ‘caution, may cause drowsiness’ written somewhere on the cover, and I’m certain that nobody should have been driving or operating heavy machinery when it was playing.

Don’t believe me? How about if I said that when Chris Rea came on with Road to Hell, it was a relief to have something bouncy and upbeat playing.

So when we stopped at a service station, it was time to fight back. I purchased ‘Urban Essentials’ inflicting a range of rap and R ‘n’ B on my unsuspecting father.

The best part of it was, so many of those songs sample bits out of songs from Dad’s day, every other song would begin and he’d smile and nod and begin to bob to the beat, then Jay Z or someone would start shouting and he’d wrinkle his nose and press ‘skip track’.

Brilliant.

3 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if that is the sort of stuff you both listen to, driving anywhere with either you or your dad must be a traumatic experience. Where's the Marilyn Manson? The Rammstein? The Tool? The Beethoven? The 'anything-with-a-bit-of-life-in-it' music? I despair of you, Mr The Great!!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Trojanmonsta said...

Hey, Mr Anonymous, if you are looking for 'The Tool', try looking in the mirror!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Peter The Great said...

I suspect it may actually be Mrs Anonymous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home