Beach in heat
Good god, it's getting even hotter.Which is why, when Alex suggested 'let's go to the beach for a game of frisbee', I agreed.
What he did not say was 'let's go to the beach for a game of ultimate frisbee, in which you will lose half your body weight in sweat and have at least two cardiac episodes before the end of the game'.
Thanks Alex.
Other than that, I've been trying to keep very still and drinking a combination of water for rehydration and beer to take my mind of the heat.
So, not much to report, other than that I have discovered it is impossible to go to Ipanema beach without at some point humming 'The girl from Ipanema'.
This is supposedly the second most recorded pop song in history, possibly due to being the blandest pop song in history, beaten only (in both categories) by 'Yesterday' by the Beatles
Anyway, it turns out there really was a girl from Ipanema, called HelĂ´ Pinheiro the original girl from ipanema who made all the boys go aah as she walked by the cafe in which the writers of the song would drink.
I found a picture of her online (google it yourself if you're that bothered) and I must say, she still looks pretty good. And quite young. How young this made her when the songwriters were drooling over her I have not worked out, but it looks pretty dubious to me.
I have also developed an extensive Portugese vocabulary consisting of 'please,' 'thank you' 'it's hot' 'can I have the bill' and 'hose'.
Yes, there is an odd one out there isn't there. I'll just tell you it's a long story involving a dirty joke based on the name of one of the Samba schools we saw rehearsing. (hmmm, suddenly I think I may have written about this before, but I can't check, so sorry if you've already heard any of this. It's hot and my brain is n't working properly. That's my excuse.)
Tommorow's tune... 'At the Copa, Copacabana...'

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home