Happy 100th
Did you know that this is the 100th entry I've posted? And they say I've got committment issues.Anyway, I was going to do something special (some kind of '100 things' post) but it turns out I may be committed, but I'm still lazy and just couldn't be arsed.
So instead I'll give you this charming news piece in which a woman is convicted of the child molestation and rape of her own husband - who is 15 years old.
The woman (37 years old, so it's not so much a May to December thing as January to sometime early 2007) was allowed to marry the kid because... she's pregnant.
It's like a soap opera in a single news story. You have to keep reading, half expecting to find out that they're brother and sister into the bargain.
Although credit to the boy, the woman is quite a fox. He's done well there. Shame he won't get to see her again until she's out of chokey. Then again, the boy's got worries of his own, what with having skipped out of school to get married (couldn't he get a note for that for God's sake?).
Oh, and that truancy was a violation of his probation.
Wow. Just wow.
You also kind of have to admire the smooth function of Georgia law (yes, that's right, it's the rednecks again). On the one hand, it authorised the underage wedding to prevent the birth of a bastard (in the literal sense anyway. Let's face it, with this start in life the kid's bound to end up a bastard anyway). On the other hand, it then refuses to allow the woman within 100 yards of her new husband.
Genuis.
Then again, perhaps more marriages would work if they used the same sort of arrangement.
Maybe I'll give it a go. Anyone want to get married?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home