Free hit counter juvenile dementia peter the great's funny comedy blog

Monday, October 31, 2005

new love, new life

Well, I guess I'm unemployed now. Funny, I still ended up getting on the train to work as I decided to keep some pattern in my life by going to the gym at 9, but it was still hard not going to the office.

It turns out having no specific plans for your time is a very daunting prospect. It's like having a thousand open doors in front of you and you having to choose one. The problem is, as soon as you choose one, you know that all you'll be able to hear is 999 doors suddenly slamming shut.

So I'm attempting to write, seeing as that is something I claim to be good at. But first, I must read. So I am re-reading the half finished novel I've been meaning to get back to work on for the last couple of years.

And the good news is, it's not half bad. Not brilliant, but still a first draft. The bad news is that consequently, I am lacking the confidence to continue. That said, I'm not finished reading yet. It could start to suck soon which, perversely, will make me feel better.

Whoever said the best way to get writing was to read great books was full of shit. The fact is when you read a great book, you can't help but wonder how you could have the temerity to try to write yourself. It's much better to read rubbish books and end up thinking 'I can do better than that'.

Then again, what happens when the rubbish books you're reading are ones you wrote yourself? Best not to think about that I'd say.

So, nothing funny to say today as a result of the period of adjustment. But I will observe that I've fallen in love with Myrna Loy. What a woman. Strong yet nurturing and totally at ease with a husband who's blind drunk.

Where do I find me one of those eh? No, not a husband who's blind drunk, a Myrna Loy. Jeez, do you people always have to have everything spelled out?

Oh, and finally, the answer to the question of my overnight stay after the 1999 office Christmas party was 'went home with the head of HR'. Speculation abounds, but I'd like to go on record now and say 'I slept on the sofa'.

And finally, this just in. Apparently George Takei (Sulu from Star Trek) has come out as gay. So he was gay, Japanese and into sci-fi. Just how many forms of bullying can one person qualify for? Jeepers. Good work George. But incidentally, how exactly did you manage to keep that one secret if you've been in a relationship with a guy for EIGHTEEN YEARS! "Hello, I'm Sulu from Star Trek and this is my, er, live-in memorabilia polisher, Carlos."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home